Montag, 13. Februar 2023

Spirit Swap's endless demo will eat your entire day

Have you ever planned to do a bunch of personally improving stuff on a Sunday morning like go for a walk down to the old pier or read 30 pages of an extremely political sci-fi book about aliens made of wool, but what you do instead is sit on the sofa playing an aggressively monetised mobile game while repeats of Modern Family run on the TV? For six hours, you do this, and eat your dinner feeling sick with unrealised potential.

Match-3 games are compulsive for a reason, and I don't have beef with them as a concept. I actually like them! But I don't like that to play a match-3 game I usually have to play a mobile game that wants me to spent money on Fairy Dollars so I can buy barrels of Explosive Wand Dust, making it easier to earn stars and incrementally furnish the Magic Toilet Goblin's bedroom, or whatever. It's the empty consumerism vibe of freemium mobile games that makes me feel like I've been eating the time-spending equivalent of junk food. Spirit Swap, which has a demo out now in the form of an endless mode, isn't that. It's beautiful, difficult, customiseable, and it'll swallow you time in a good way, not a faintly unsettling one.

Read more



from Rock, Paper, Shotgun https://ift.tt/MZQS9Tj
via ifttt

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen