Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018

Premature Evaluation: Wayward Souls

Wayward Souls

Premature Evaluation is the weekly column in which we explore the wilds of early access. This week, Fraser’s back on the roguelikes with Wayward Souls. It looks like Secret of Mana, but it’s meaner.

It might have been a mistake to play as the mage. Wayward Souls’ dungeons promise death at the hands, claws and slimey appendages of countless beasties, but my first killer was just a miner. He threw a pickaxe at my head. I’d made it to the third room of the first floor. I didn’t even get to find out what her deal was. Every hero’s got some reason to keep fighting, with stories that are woven into the otherwise random maps and between levels. It’s something to spur you on when you’ve been killed by a plain old bat. Twice.

Against all the odds, I persevered… is what I’d like to tell you, but no, I threw the mage in the bin, along with her pitifully tiny health bar and my confidence. Developer Rocketcat Games cites Secret of Mana as Wayward Souls’ greatest inspiration, but it’s got the cold, black heart of a roguelike. Lives are fleeting, and you’ll go through plenty, each starting fresh at the dungeon entrance.

(more…)



from Rock, Paper, Shotgun https://ift.tt/2mErqgz
via ifttt

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen