Sonntag, 24. September 2017

Ultima Online was released twenty years ago today

ultimaonlineanniversary

I’ll never forget where I was when I heard that Lord British had been killed.

The character, Ultima creator Richard Garriott’s alter-ego and in-game avatar, burned to a crisp during a beta test of Ultima Online on August 9th, 1997. The game officially launched a month and a half later, twenty years ago today, and I loved it in a way that has kept me from loving any massively multiplayer RPG released since. It might not look like much now, but back then it looked like the future and I could only imagine the kind of worlds I’d be building an alternate online life in twenty years down the line. I can still only imagine them because the spirit of Ultima Online, at least what it meant to me, seemed to wither on the vine.

(more…)



from Rock, Paper, Shotgun http://ift.tt/2hpGkYO
via ifttt

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen