Freitag, 15. Januar 2021

How I got findommed by the moon in Mars Horizon

Variation on the classic "always has been meme", where an astronaut is looking at earth as it appears in Mars Horizon, and saying "Wait - so space stuff is really expensive?" The second astronaut is pointing a gun at his head from behind, and we can imply he is about to say "always has been".Mars Horizon

is a much more cunning creature than it seems at first. When I played its demo last year, I thought it was a splendid little management sim about the space race, albeit with the words “splendid” and “little” arranged like the wheels of a penny farthing. It seemed a bit simple, if I’m honest, with the potential to be a pretty linear walkthrough of the history of space exploration.

But I have been proved wrong, as comprehensively as flat earthers were on December 7th, 1972. I still think the game would benefit from a more… lax approach to counterhistorical material (let me build a rocket powered by nuclear bombs, cowards!), but despite keeping you close to reality, it gets a lot deeper as it goes on, and offers some masterfully balanced strategic dilemmas. Indeed, just like in a film where an unassuming training instructor karates the face off a macho braggart, Mars Horizon has taught me a valuable lesson about underestimation. The way I learned this lesson, was by bankrupting myself on the moon.

(more…)



from Rock, Paper, Shotgun https://ift.tt/38Mt2On
via ifttt

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen