Donnerstag, 7. November 2019

Wot I Think: Red Dead Redemption 2

Reviewing Red Dead Redemption 2 a year after its console release is like happening upon a frontier homestead after it’s been attacked by bandits. It’s a game that has been subjected to every take under the sun, and stripped to the bone by internet vultures; every last secret dug up, every mechanic scalped and scrutinised, until no magic remains. I, adopting the role of world-weary sheriff, look upon this crime scene and mutter under my breath, “what in tarnation happened here?” A deputy pipes up: “SEO, boss. F**kin’ SEO.” (My inner dialogue is written, of course, by David ‘Deadwood’ Milch.)

I myself arrive at the PC version with 80 hours of Xbox One grit in my boots, but this won’t be the case for everyone. I mean, the idea of making it a year without having RDR2 thoroughly spoiled seems impossible – but it must apply to someone. What surprises me, with this PC release, is just how much a lick of paint can re-imbue such well-trodden ground with a refreshed sense of wonder. And if you did make it here all innocent and unspoiled, you are in for the definitive version of the definitive Rockstar game, warts and all. So let’s pretend we haven’t already waded through the swamp that is The RDR2 Discourse, if only for the length of time it takes me to tell you wot I think.

(more…)



from Rock, Paper, Shotgun https://ift.tt/2rkyJj7
via ifttt

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen